Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Negatives About Being Positive.

I was talking with a friend of mine not long ago about Fibro. She and I both have it and she and I both absolutely hated the negativity surrounding the syndrome whether it was from the medical community and society or from Fibro Sufferers themselves.

We dreamed of a perfect world where Doctors and families understood our pain and where Fibro Sufferers fought against the Syndrome with all they had, helping credibility and raise awareness for this very real and agonizing condition.

We were both tired of going to the same groups, blogs, websites where everything was bleak. Stories were shared and relating was had. It was nice to see, but more often than not, it became darker...gloomier. Pain stories and laments about life sucking so much was all we saw on some threads and email loops! It was...depressing.

I bet someone could do a study out there about support groups, whether they help or hurt and the results would be shocking.

So how to turn that around?

Shoot a bit of positive in the mix and see what happens.

Well I can tell you what happens. Rejection mostly. LOL Oh I'm not saying I'm going to stop being positive. It's not in my nature. I'm not even going to complain about the personal attacks or the hate emails.

I've been told I'm preachy, insensitive, a bitch, and accusations have been made as to whether or not I suffer from Fibro at all. I try to deflect these images of me as best I can but the truth is, you can't force people to want to find good in their life when they're determined to feel bad. In fact, when you DO try, and sometimes I admit I try too hard, you become the object of hate and ridicule. Enemy Number One.

Reminding people that there is good out there and they can feel it is an awesome job, but not so awesome when you see the frustration and anger you can bring out in people.

Maybe I'm hated because they really are trying and they can't get to the 98% place yet. They don't believe it's ever coming and for me to continue to say it is possible angers them on the days they're at 2%.

That's how I choose to look at it. Anger and frustration. And boy do I understand that. I wouldn't like me either on those days! It's like the cheerleaders trying to get you interested in a game when you're down 50 pts with two minutes left. Its just not happening.

I get it. But just like the cheerleaders, I'm not going to give up.

I have to be positive because I know good health and good days are possible. I feel confident that in the future we'll only have more understanding and awareness.. and more treatments! I have faith.

I don't want anyone to feel as though their life is over and they can't find anything worth living for. Gods I will argue with anyone, piss off the world if I can just convince one person with Fibro not to give up.

I'm not saying this to martyr myself or to be preachy dammit. It is just how I feel. So many people, my friends...they all are just...teetering, looking for something to make them whole again. And until you hear the cries of many you just can't know the kind of pressure being positive can bring and why I can NEVER waiver on it or let others shut me down.

I will be here. I will be annoyingly positive... and I care deeply about you all.

All my best,
Gin

No comments:

Post a Comment