Monday, March 23, 2009

Fibro Vitamins

As any of you who have visited this sight more than once or read any of my posts on groups or loops know, I'm a huge believer in vitamins and nutrition. I've even thought about going back to school to get a degree in nutrition but I'm a little concerned about my ability to concentrate. It's bad enough I'm an author who is at the whim of my Fibro Fog but I'm able to write around my episodes. Something tells me a college professor might not care. Haha. But I digress.

This past week I've been doing a little Anti-Vitamin experiment. I've seen a lot of claims by Fibro Sufferers that vitamins do nothing for them and they feel the same on them as they do off.

My answer to them has always been. "It can't hurt. You're giving your body the vitamins it needs which in the long run can help you absorb your medicine better or give you that extra boost of energy."

But as we all know, Fibro Sufferers are very stubborn. If we want to believe something, no one will change our minds. It comes from years of having to fight doctor's and loved ones just to get a correct diagnosis. "No, I'm not crazy, something IS wrong with me."

So I decided to set my stubbornness aside and go off the vitamins for a week to see what happens. I swore to myself that I would be objective. I'd tell no one what I was doing so no one could influence me with opinions either.

At first, I have to admit, that I saw no change. I was disheartened and thought, what the hell am I taking all of these damned vitamins for if they're doing nothing!!! (Language, Gin! But I was frustrated.)

I even, sad to say, felt a little bit better. The first two days I felt the same but the 3rd and 4th day I felt awesome!

And then reality came crashing back. I burned out all the good stuff. It was as if those fantastic two days were a last ditch effort of my body. The two drops of gas before the car stalls.

I'm sitting here in front of the computer right now with frozen peas on my head to calm my raging migraine! My shoulders are killing me. My hips and knees have shooting pains and my costochondritis is acting up. I feel....horrible.

Why the hell did I do this experiment!?!

lol. Honestly, I'm glad I did. I've heard so many "bad" things about how taking vitamins made people feel worse or did nothing for them, I started to wonder if Vitamins were working for me on a strictly placebo basis. I mean I knew they were helpful for my body but...for my Fibro? There's no proof of it.

Until now. Obviously I can't speak for everyone but I can say for sure just how much my body has suffered this week+. I had no energy to write. Not in my book, not in my blog. And that is a bad sign for a writer, my friends.

It could be argued that the reason I feel horrible is that I was on vitamins so long "of course" I was going to notice their absence. But this argument, to me, is silly. Our body needs vitamins. If we don't get it through normal means then we have to pop them in pill form. Or better yet...liquid. Fibromyalgai patients have issues with absorption. Because of this, liquid vitamins is THE way to get the effect of what we're taking.

Now, all of this being said.. it's time to get to the list I've been promising.

I was talking to a nutritionist, wanting to find out what I would have to do to become one, and he recommended a book called Prescription For Nutritional Healing by Phyllis A. Balch, CNC.

I love this book! It was the reason I decided to do my little experiment, because the vitamin regimen is so extensive and different, I wanted to cleanse my system before introducing new things. The book lists Vitamins in the following categories: Essential, Very Important, Important, and Helpful. It also lists some herbs as well which I'll post later on.

This is a long list and it explains what each vitamin does, so I'm going to break the list up over the next few days.

Today is the ESSENTIAL Vitamins: (and they won't be what you thought!)

Supplement: Acidophilus or bifidis.
Dosage: As directed on label.
Reason: Candida infection is common in people with fibromyalgia. Probiotics replace "friendly" bacteria destroyed by candida. (Use a non-dairy formula.)

Supplement: Coenzyme Q10
Dosage: 75mg daily
Reason: Improves oxygenation of tissues, enhances the effectiveness of the immune system, and protects the heart.

Supplement: Coenzyme A (from Coenzyme-A Technologies)
Dosage: As directed on label.
Reason: Works with coenzyme Q10 to increase energy supply to the cells.

Supplement: Lecithin
Dosage: As directed on label with meals.
Reason: Promotes energy, enhances immunity, aids in brain function and improves circulation.

Supplement: Malic acid and Magnesium
Dosage: As directed on label.
Reason: Involved in energy production in many cells of the body including the muscle cells. Needed for sugar metabolism.

Supplement: Manganese
Dosage: 5 mg daily. Take separately from calcium.
Reason: Influences the metabolic rate by involvement in the pituitary hypothalamic-thyroid axis.

Supplement: Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NADH) (Enada)
Dosage: 10-15 mg first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.
Reason: Increases level of energy.

Supplement: Proteolytic enzymes or Inflazyme Forte from American Biologics or Wobenzym N from Marlyn Nutraceuticals.
Dosage: As directed on label, 6 times daily, with meals, between meals, and at bedtime.
Reason: Reduces inflammation and improves absorption of foods expecially protein, which is needed for tissue repair.

Supplement: Vitamin A with mixed carotenoids
Dosage: 25,000 IU daily for 1 month, then slowly reduce to 10,000 IU daily. If you are pregnant, do not exceed 10,000 IU daily.

use with:

Supplement: Vitamin E
Dosage: 200 IU
Comment: Use d-alpha-tocopherol form.

OR

Supplement: ACES + Zn from Carlson Labs
Dosage: As directed on label.
Reason: Contains Vitamins A, C, and E plus the minerals selenium and zinc, to protect immune function.


Supplement: Vitamin C with bioflavonoids
Dosage: 5,000 - 10,000 mg daily.
Reason: Has a powerful antiviral effect and increases the body's energy level. Use a buffered form.



That is the list of essentials.
Considering I take about one of them...I figure I might have to shift things around, see if any of these supplements can help with Fibro Fog and morning stiffness and energy.

Once I get all of these things I'll keep you posted!

Remember, if you're taking a vitamin and it works for you, you shouldn't change to this list unless it is something you want to try. If headaches are big problem for you, take vitamins that will help more with headaches than general Fibro woes.

As always, my friends, be well, be positive, and have 98% days.
Best,
Gin

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    Thanks for sharing such informative post. Summed up a lot of points on types of supplements. Truly suggestive.

    ReplyDelete