Thursday, May 28, 2009

Dementia

"Dear Gin,

Can you tell me what you know about demnta and altsheimers linked with fibro?

God Bless

Jackie"

Hiya Jackie! This is a common worry because of Fibro Fog. To ease your mind a little bit, I'd like to tell you that there are no studies that show Fibromyalgia leads to dementia or Alzheimer's disease. However, if you're worried about suffering from either, I have this vitamin advice to give.

Take vitamin D. I put your letter up today because I received the link below. In it, it states that there is enough evidence to show the lack of vitamin D can be detrimental to both conditions but no conclusive studies have been done.

As I've mentioned a ton of times before...it takes money to do studies and if it isn't marketable (too common of a cure/treatment to patent like bee pollen---thank you David V. for that information) no one will bother with the study..because there is not money in it. Scientists don't have the kind of money they can just throw around for studies. They need grants and backers. We all know the pharm companies aren't going to spend money on a study that says something common like...vitamin D will help negate the need for their expensive prescription drug.

LOL.. okay...no more conspiracy theories from me today. The link is below.

http://www.elements4health.com/possible-link-between-vitamin-d-deficiency-and-alzheimers.html

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for writing Gin,
    I too am worried about this and urge all people to take vitamin D. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear VinaMist,

    You're quite welcome. I have always worried about the Fog becoming permanant, too. Even though I am assured that similarly joint pain for fibro does not lead to prelude to arthritis, Fog does not indicate a likelihood of dementia or Alzheimer's.

    Still...that doesn't mean we won't get it. 1 in 85 is not awesome odds, so pop those D pills ladies and gents! lol

    All my best,
    Gin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think non-profit organizations would be interested in doing this kind of study. I read the Fibromyalgia Network's Journal, which is free of any ads, and they are associated with a group that is dedicated to research. Membership dollars would go towards such research.

    http://www.fmnetnews.com/basics-research.php

    ReplyDelete