Sunday, July 19, 2009

Romance Writers Conference (Careers and Fibro)

The Roman Writers of America held their conference in Washington D.C. this year and I had a really good time.

My Fibro held up decently well. I only had a few times where my stomach was whacked out but I managed to maintain my composure. I had a migraine but it went away after some rest which is new. I had lots of muscle pain but kept on pushing myself anyway so I could sight see, and I only felt wigged out by the crowds a couple of times.

Not bad!

All-in-all, I proved that I can juggle my writing career with my Fibro. And that is important for all of us!!

We can juggle, as long as we can dictate our career instead of have it dictated to us. Being unable to stand up and walk around or sit down to rest whenever we need to is a big factor in finding a job.

Unfortunately for us, there aren't many jobs out there that will let us pick our own hours and let us change them at the last moment when something hurts.

These factors have to be taken into consideration and as a sufferer of Fibro you have to figure out how to make your vocation bend to you, or to bend your vocation enough to be able to continue to do your chosen profession with your limitations.

We can only push ourselves so far before we do more harm than good, so if you push and you still meet with resistance with your profession and you hurt yourself in the process...it is time to reevaluate.

Starting over, or creating a new way to utilize your learned skills is daunting, but with a little bit of creativity, you may find an idea that gives you exactly what you need as a Fibro patient, and as a human being who still needs to put food on the table.

I'm extremely tired from the trip and may not be making a ton of sense so I'll leave it at this...You can do it, I believe in you.

Best,
Gin

No comments:

Post a Comment